Monday, January 16, 2012

Memories - Nanny's Quilt

Today on Facebook Brewer asked the question "Have you ever sewn something with meaning? Or something inspirational?".

Having recently lost my mother, quilts with meaning and memories of those quilts are close in my mind. One special quilt I did was for my maternal grandmother in the late 1990's. It was made from my grandfathers shirts after he passed away. He was a business man and even in retirement, wore a button-down dress shirt every day. This is a picture of my grandmother with the quilt I made along with her beloved African Violets. She was so proud of both.
It wasn't until I started making this quilt that I realized just colorful his shirts were.The solid colors in this quilt are my grandfathers shirts, blues, yellows and pinks (yes, even my grandfathers generation work pink!). The florals are Liberty of London, a wonderful cotton fabric I puchased in Australia when I lived there in the mid 1990's.
Here is a very old picture of me with long hair and big glasses, piecing the quilt on one of my favorite sewing machines, my Bernina 1230. Today I own the quilt, now passed on to me by my mother. I miss them both!



1 comment:

  1. this is a great story and a great quilt. I love the traditional triangle in a pinwheel. (I love grandmas too!) cw

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my visitors!