Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome 2011 - it's a Go! Rag Quilt kinda year!

I have not posted in a while.... customer Christmas quilts started coming in faster than I could turn them around and that became my focus. To top it off, I had a sore throat I'd been fighting off and on since my breast cancer treatment, then it seemed to just go from bad to worse this fall. The doctor kept telling me I needed my tonsils out and I tried ignoring her but.... December 15th out they came. I can honestly say the pain after the tonsillectomy was nothing compared to the pain before! Lots of ice water, ice packs, ice popsicles (lactose intolerant so no ice cream) and a dear, dear husband who took excellent care of me. I recovered nicely but it has taken over three weeks to really get back to normal. I’m still healing, but I feel better than I’ve felt in months. All in all, it was a good thing to do and I should not have waited so long.


The New Year is now here and there are new tutorials coming… one this week! My Go! Cutter has been busy…. a large tub of flannel has found a new home as 8-1/2” rag quilt blocks. My mom loves making these, but can no longer cut the fringe. I picked up the rag quilt die for my Go! and went to town cutting. The blocks for a nice size lap is cut, boxed, and ready for the mailman to carry off to Kansas to my mom's house! Oh, and this is the second quilt I cut. The first was cut and sent off before surgery.




Most of the Go! dies are easy to use, no brainers in fact, but the rag die can be daunting. All those blades which if you’re not careful can cut knuckles faster than you can shake a stick, and they cut mine! Lots of stray threads, lots of blades, more stray threads, lots of heavy use on the mat... did I mention lots of blades??? I just had to make a video to pass along what I learned about using this die, and more importantly, how to clean it! Out came my Bloggie, and now comes my videos. Hope ya'all enjoy them!

Accuquilt Go! Cutter Rag Die Tips on Using - this video shows the basic how-to's of using the rag die, including hints on how to clean it but...

Accuquilt Go! Cutter Rag Die Worn Mats and Cleaning Dies - this video demonstrates what happens when the mat wears out and quits working, then goes into detail on how/when to clean this die without getting into the blades and without taking three hours to do it (hint, you don't need the pick!).


I have more videos in the works now that I have my voice back… and a special award winning announcement coming the last week of January. I will be participating in Sewcalgal's Accuquilt EQ7 Challenge Blog Hop. Stay tuned for more on this!


4 comments:

  1. Great, precise videoing with easy to listen to instructions, Judy. I fully watched both You Tubes. I don't have the rag die but I know many use it.

    I, too, use the needle-nose pliers for cleaning dies - and SO many other little things in my sewing room.

    I look forward to seeing you in the end-of-January blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used my rag die with my GO! and really appreciate your informative videos. I had previously made several rag quilts by hand. Everyone seems to love them.
    Marilyn in San Antonio, TX, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rag die...that is on my wish list.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your U-Tubes. Very informative about the dies but what I found most interesting is watching your sewing section. you make it look so easy with great directions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my visitors!