Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Accuquilt EQ7 Quilt Design Challenge Winner

Cactus Flower
Well, here it is... the winning quilt design for the Accuquilt EQ7 Quilt Design Challenge. I've never won a design contest and it's really a thrill for me. The entire quilt may be cut using the Accuquilt Go! Cutter, even the borders! Cactus Flower finishes to 45"x60".

I wanted to design a quilt representative of the southwest, my home for the past 25 years. Several years ago I designed an Arizona block-of-the-month for my local Bernina shop (planned for my blog later this year), so I played with the blocks from that quilt. The main block of Cactus Flower is a color variation of the 54-40 or Fight block which I call Hiking Trail. In the quilt this block has the appearance of a cactus bloom, but the block actually represents purple mountains majesty, green valleys, and beautiful rose-colored sunsets.

The second block in the quilt is a color variation of Jacobs Ladder I call London Bridge Sunset. This block represents London Bridge in Lake Havasu, Arizona, at sunset when the water and sky turn rosy pink and purple. Together these two blocks make a totally different look of cactus blooms amongst the saguaros.


Accuquilt will publish the pattern for this quilt and a table runner (below) but so far neither have been posted. Per the contest rules, I had to provide the pattern for the winning quilt but they hold the copyright. OK by me.... I love winning and I received the entire 2010 fall release of new dies in exchange. I hope they publish the pattern soon!!!
Cactus Flower Table Runner in Fabric
I also provided to Accuquilt the pattern for a table runner using these same two blocks. Many of my quilts I design in Electric Quilt never make it to fabric, and the same is true for this winning quilt. The table runner finishes to about 19-1/2" x 45" and was a great weekend project in lui of the full quilt. I guess this is where it works that you work with colors you like???? The one in fabric is almost the same color as the one in EQ. And I didn't even look at my stash until after I won the contest!!!

Now for the tutorial..... the hardest part making Cactus Flower is the triangle units in the Hiking Trail block. They are not your normal triangles!  Accuquilt made it easy and designed the 3" finished Triangle-in-a-Square die to cut these units for a 9" finished block. In my video I show how to use the die and also how to sew this unit. Easy-peasy once you know the tricks!

CORRECTION TO THE VIDEO - I will be making a new video soon but.... when it comes time to sew the points to the center triangle, use the quarter inch mark on your machine or foot. DO NOT use the cut points as a guide as noted in the video. For most templates that cut this block, the video is correct. The Accuquilt dies are an exception in that you DON'T use those points.
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to have you leave a comment. If you entered the EQ contest, please feel free to let us know!!! To recap our blog hop...

Tuesday - Marjorie shows how to use EQ7 with Accuquilt dies.
Wednesday - Kim of Chatterbox Quilts shows her entry and talks about the process of designing an entry for her first challenge.
Thursday - this blog
Friday - Back to SewCalGal for a surprise giveaway from Accuquilt!.
PS: A list of the dies used to make the quilt:

Block #1 Hiking Trail Block:
  • Triangles in Square-3" Finished (55027)
  • Square-2" #55022
Block #2 London Bridge Sunset Block:
  • Half Square-3" Finished Triangle (55009)
  • Square-2" #55022
Inner Border : Strip Cutter-1 1/2" (55024)
Outer Border: Strip Cutter-4 1/2" (55054)
Binding: Strip Cutter-2 1/2" (55017)

46 comments:

  1. Wow. This is a spectacular quilt design. I can truly understand why it is the winning quilt. Love it. I also love how you utilized a variety of dies to create these beautiful blocks that made such a spectacular quilt, table runner, etc. Seems like there is a big variety that one could do with these blocks. Love it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful design and use of dies. Congratulations on your win! and thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you, Judy. You are so deserving. This is a spectacular quilt AND table runner.

    I haven't been home much to get to the blog hop so I'll do that today.

    I look forward to taking your GO Rose of Sharon class this semester at SFTH. I'll also check on that today and sign up - as well as sign up for a couple other things I hope to take.

    My 2011 intention is to learn more about our fantastic DP V6 software.

    I truly am your biggest advocate and admirer.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt. I have both EQ7 and a GO but I really haven't been using either as much as I should. You're an inspiration, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! What a great quilt. It's just beautiful!!! I don't have EQ but I love my Accuquilt GO! Cutter. I don't have the 3" finished Triangle in a square die. But it's on my wish list and I hope to purchase it soon. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration and Congratulations on winning this contest. Hugs Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if they will be posting any of the other entrants to the contest. Yours is quite attractive! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! The quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and giving us the heads up about the directions. Putting the blocks on point adds so much to the intricacy of the design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a stunning quilt and table runner. It's beautiful and very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful patterns! I look forward to the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Thanks for the inspiration. Guess I'm going to have to sit down & figure out what I can actually make with the dies I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just awesome. I love your pattern designs and so glad for you about the dies...whohoooo

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That is an awesome quilt design! And congratulations on winning the challenge and receiving such an awesome prize!!

    I have an EQ and hope one day to own a GO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy,
    The quilt is just stunning! I think you did a wonderful job and deserved the win. I do believe I need to add this to my list of quilts I must make before I die! (of course as long as that list is I will need to live to be 200!)
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    Gin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome quilt! I submitted some entries but they were nothing like this (I was thinking "simple" for beginners).

    Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to live near Lake Havasu...It really does remind me of that area.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your win! It's a wonderful design. I'm telling you, how great is it to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt design - congratulations on your win! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the design...Congrats!! I have some Jacob's Ladders in my orphan block stash. A sampler made of orphan blocks is on my to-do list for 2011...

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, how exciting for you!! This is a lovely quilt. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That design is beautiful, you deserved to win. And what a great prize. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, it's an awesome design!
    ap_lemos at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This table runner/quilt is lovely. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulation on the win, the design was beautiful.
    Alda, Fl

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on winning the design contest - love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a simply beautiful pattern! Congratulations! Love your table runner, too. :) I'd love to own EQ software and a GO! Baby some day...

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely design! Congrats on winning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a wonderful design!
    And thanks for sharing the tutorial!
    /Mari

    ReplyDelete
  28. congrats on all of your creativity ,,, and more than that being recognized for it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on your win and a great design! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful Southwestern pattern !! Congratulations to you on the future publication of your pattern too. I'm always on the lookout for southwestern patterns & this one is a WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
  31. EQ7 + GO! + creativity = makes you a winner. Congratulations. I have yet to explore my GO! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations, beautiful quilt. I'm inspired to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Judy, you must've known my favourite colour is purple! Great job and CONGRATULATIONS on the win. I'm sure this will be the first of many. Hugs Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG this is a beautiful quilt. I can see how using the right and in this case the newest tools were truly helpful....for both cutting and color, just beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wowsers! So many perfect little points that I'm just bound to mess a few up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful Quilt Judy! I am so excited for you that you are able to put all that together! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Valentine's Day
    Outstanding quilt Judy and congradulations!!!!
    Makes me want to make one! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful quilt! Congrats on the big win!
    Cheers,
    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, your quilt is amazing...no wonder it won! I liked hearing about the inspiration behind it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. it looks like it been awhile since you posted so I hope you get this. Did your cactus flower quilt get published into a pattern with instruction on how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. My pattern has not been published by Accuquilt, and as this point, I don't think it will be. I am sorry it hasn't been published. I put a lot of effort in it, and even provided them the pattern for the tablerunner. They made it clear they own the quilt pattern, so I can not pass it along. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh! I LUV your design! Congratulations on winning...the judges made a smart decision!

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com
    =) new follower =)!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations on your winning quilt Judy. I just downloaded your pattern from www.accuquilt.com I received their newsletter yesterday with your winning quilt featured. It a wonderful pattern and best thing is I seem to have the die cutters. Looking forward...!!!
    hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations!! What a fantastic quilt and a great win. I see that you live in Fountain Hills I'm across the valley in Youngtown. If you are ever over here give me a line and maybe we can do lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Judy! What amazing work -- congratulations. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wauv, it is truly amazing. Fabulous design, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my visitors!