Thursday, September 30, 2010

The 15-minute Microwave Baked Potato Bag

Thanks to all my new followers. I hope you enjoy my posts and tutorials!  Everyday I find I have new friends, and I am enjoying the support I am getting from the blogging community!


This tutorial will show you how to make a Microwave Baked Potato Bag. It's simple and it's quick, in fact it only takes about 15 minutes to make (thus the name). I made one for my daughter to use to bake sweet potatoes for the 6mo granddaughter. Also, I have to thank my mom for this one.... she made one for me years ago, and I've been using it ever since. 

The reason for the bag??? So potatoes (especially sweet potatoes) will have the same flavor when cooked in the microwave as they would if they were cooked in the oven. Sweet potatoes are especially tasty when using the bag.

Here's a free Adobe PDF pattern to the Microwave Baked Potato Bag I am doing in this tutorial, but the photo tutorial is only here at my blog. They are so easy that once you've made one, you really won't need this tutorial to make more.

SUPPLIES: What you need to make 2 bags: 1/3 yard cuts of a focus fabric, lining and scrap of batting at least 10" x 42". If you just want to make one, then you only need scrap fabrics and batt at least 10" x 22".

A hard copy of the Microwave Baked Potato Bag pattern may help and is useful when you want to make more of these. It's all on one page and easy to read.





CUTTING: On a cutting table, layer batting, lining right side up and focus fabric right side down. You will cut all three pieces at the same time this way! Smooth out the wrinkles and cut all three layers 10" x 22", well 22" maybe....

If you are using 1/3 yard cuts and your focus or lining fabric is not a full 44" wide, then use whatever 1/2 the width is of your fabric. The potato fabric on the market right now is only 40" wide, so I cut my fabric 10" x 20", or 1/2 the width.

This is a good project for a 24" ruler, but none are 10" wide. I use a square up, in this case a 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" Omnigrid, to measure the 10". Then I lay my 24" ruler next to it and cut.








At the sewing machine, with 1/4" (or so) seam allowance, sew the short ends. Be certain you catch all three layers in the seam allowance.

Then turn so the focus fabric it right side out, lining is right side out, and batting is in the middle. I press the seams flat, then  top-stitch about 1/2" from the edge.


This is the hard part.... take the short ends you just top-stitched and fold over towards the center. One side folds in about 3" from the edge, the other side folds until it overlaps the first fold by about 1/2". The 3" fold is on the bottom, the side with the longer fold is on top. It needs to be this way.
 Now stitch the long edges with again, about a 1/4" seam allowance. And again, be certain you catch all the layers. Zig-zag the raw edges. You will be putting potatoes in and out of this bag so the seam allowances really do need stitched down.







Turn your bag right side out. I don't bother clipping corners. They seem to fold out just fine without taking the time.

Voila!  Your bag is done!

To cook: wash potato as normal, place in bag, cook per microwave directions. DO NOT PIERCE, they don't need it when using the bag. Enjoy!





18 comments:

  1. Oh my word, Judy, I've never read a tutorial about how to make a Microwave Baked Potato Bag. thank you so much.

    May I share this link next time I post to my blog? I think LOTS of people will be making these as gifts. I know I will.

    hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to add - don't know how I missed this post last time I was here....

    Oh well, not the first time I've missed a good review...LOL

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy sent me :-)xxx Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used one of these at my daughter's house. MUST have my own! Is it really that important to have 100% cotton thread? I have no problems with fabric and batting, from my stash, but the thread will mean a half hour trip, one way, and the cost. Especially for the serger.
    Thank you for the clearest instructions I've seen on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy,

    I have a very difficult time comprehending instructional material. But, that definitely was not the case with yours. You made it so clear. The people who have you as instructor are extremely lucky.

    With Sincere Gratitude For Your Time and Effort To Do This,
    Johnna - Grove City, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent instructions. I had a friend that wanted me to make her 2 of these for Christmas gifts and it took more time to cut than to put together and that is all thanks for your very clear instructions. Thank you so much!
    Kathy Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great posting....I have made these before, I bought one, as many of us crafters do, for myself AND the pattern...the one I bought is not turned inside as yours, its like a piece of quilted fabric and then sewn on top side, if I am making sense...but wanted to see the size to cut ... its been awhile since I made one....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea .Off to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a bag that was sewn together without cotton thread. My husband put the bag away after use. It started smoldering and left a burnt spot on the drawer bottom. If we hadn't been home my house would have burnt down. Be safe, use all cotton supplies, let your bag completely cool down before putting away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just finished making four bags and boy were they easy. Your instructiona were great and the bags were so easy to make. I spent more time picking out the fabrics from my stash than I did sewing. I plan on making more for all my friends and family. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Your instructions are great and easy to follow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this and providing pattern. I had bought the batting for this and finally remembered this weekend and zipped out 4 in no time. Now everyone wants one! Thanks for sharing - great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to making these!! Thanks so much for posting instructions :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you already have focus fabric, lining and bating scraps at home, then all you have to do is follow these steps for your free potato bags. This is very nice because you wouldn’t have to buy potato bags when baking potatoes. The good thing is that if you use a high quality fabric, your DIY potato bag will as tough as the ones you buy in the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plus, these are effective at relax more making use of a gay sizegenetics in order to get more out of your experience, plus they get to experience it with someone that shares similar values and lifestyles as them so they might well be rrn a position to strike up a touch of more of a conversation.While you're looking for something in particular like a gay sizegenetics, you would want to make it a point that you just simply find a service that specializes in that. You would want to take care that it can be done right and this is making use of a service that truly wants to provide people with that experience, so make it a point which this is something that they can do often, you'll feel a lot better knowing that you just are getting an experienced masseuse which is able to be capable of give you a brilliant experience and an awesome sizegenetics overall.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome tutorial!! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was awesome, I had been hunting for the pattern for the potato bag and came across this lovely tutural . Thank you very much for that

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so very much for this. My cousin wants me to make her one for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my visitors!